WhatsApp has offered voice and video calls through its iPhone and Android apps for years, but now the feature is also available on its desktop app. WhatsApp’s voice and video calls are end-to-end encrypted. Unfortunately, the desktop does not support group calls for the time being.
How to Download WhatsApp on Desktop
Before you start, this feature doesn’t work on the WhatsApp web app. The function is only available in the WhatsApp desktop app. Therefore, you will need to download the desktop app first.
They offer similar features such as WhatsApp Status, sending messages, Bbuetick support, and more.
There are two ways in which you can download the app on your desktop:
- Open your browser, and go to web.whatsapp.com. Log in with your phone by scanning the QR code. You will then see WhatsApp available for Windows. Tap on Get it here to download the app.
- Go to whatsapp.com and, from the homepage, click on the Mac or Windows PC button to download it.
The WhatsApp calling feature only supports Windows 10 64-bit version 1903 or newer and macOS 10.13 or newer.
Requirement for WhatsApp Voice or Video Calls from Desktop
If you want to make WhatsApp voice and video calls from a desktop, you will need the following things:
- An audio and microphone output device
- A camera for video calls
- You will need a computer and phone with an active internet connection. The call won’t go through your phone, but it needs to be online to establish the call.
- Allow WhatsApp desktop to access your computer’s microphone and camera.
Now that we have the required things let’s move on with the procedure.
How to Make A Voice Call Using Desktop App
WhatsApp Desktop allows you to call your friends and family worldwide for free using voice calling. To login to the desktop app and make a voice call follow these steps:
Step 1: Open the WhatsApp desktop app on your computer. Use your phone to scan the QR code (open WhatsApp on your phone > Tap Settings > WhatsApp Web/Desktop)
Step 2: Go to the chat of any contact you want to call. Click on the Voice call icon.
Step 3: The microphone icon on the toolbar allows you to silence or unmute your microphone during a phone call. End the call when you are over with it
How to Make a Video Call Using Desktop App
To make a video call using WhatsApp desktop, follow these simple steps below:
Step 1: Open the WhatsApp desktop app on your computer. Scan the QR code using your phone (open WhatsApp on your phone > Tap Settings > WhatsApp Web/Desktop).
Step 2: Open the chat of the contact you wish to video conference with. Tap on the video call icon.
Step 3: You can mute or unmute your microphone during the call by clicking the Microphone icon. Also, you can turn your camera off or on by clicking the Camera icon—Tap End Call when you’re finished.
How to Switch Between a Voice Call and Video Call Using WhatsApp desktop
When you are on a voice call with a contact, you can also request a video call. To switch between a voice call and a video call using the desktop app, you need to follow these steps given below:
- During the call, click on the camera icon.
- The person you are speaking to can then choose to accept or decline the call.
- If they select OK or Switch, the voice call will switch over to a video call.
How to Answer a Voice or Video Call on WhatsApp Desktop
You can also receive calls from your computer when someone calls you on WhatsApp. For this, you should log in to the desktop app.
When you see an incoming WhatsApp call, you get three options:
- Use the Green button to accept the call.
- Click on the Red button to decline the call.
- Ignore a call using the X button.
Follow these methods to make your WhatsApp calling easier. I hope this post will help you make WhatsApp video calls and voice calls from the desktop app.